Menu 1

Adjusting to a School Year Sleep Schedule

It is time to start thinking about back to school. There are schedules to pick up, supplies and uniforms to buy and routines to adjust to again. One of the biggest issues many families face is getting back into a school year sleeping schedule.

sleep schedule
Over the summer we tend to stay up later and sleep in a little later {or a lot later if you have teenagers!}. Returning to a school year sleep schedule can be challenging. It is not something that you should expect to happen overnight. Now is the time to start prepping your kids so that when the first day of school rolls around they are well rested and ready to take on the year!
Make an effort to make the bedrooms calm, clean and clutter free areas. New pillows are a great way to entice your child to fall asleep easier at an earlier time.
Elementary aged students should begin a routine of going to bed a little earlier about 2 weeks before school starts. Aim for 8 pm. This gives them time to fall asleep and still get about 10.5 hours of rest.
Preteens should head to bed around 8:30.
Teenagers should head to bed around 9, but keep in mind that as puberty sets in the biological clock shifts by a few hours. So, don’t be concerned if your 15 year old can’t fall asleep until around 11.
After adjusting bedtimes make bedrooms cellphone free zones. After a summer of texting friends all day and night, your kids are likely to lose sleep if they have their phone in their room.
These tips should help your children adjust to a school year sleep schedule with ease, so that they are well rested and ready to take on a new school year once the first day arrives.

17 Responses to Adjusting to a School Year Sleep Schedule

1. Amanda D July 29, 2015 at 6:13 pm #

This is exactly what I needed to see today. Sleeping in and staying up way too late has become the norm this summer around our home. Love the idea of new pillows too. We have just under two weeks to get our act together. Lol Going to start implementing these steps ASAP

2. Victoria July 29, 2015 at 11:29 pm #

Great tips. I usually get my boys to bed by 8:30 on school nights. During the summer, I aim for that same time but I am not too strict. This school year since I will have two kids in school I am aiming for 8pm bedtimes so they can be very alert in the mornings.

• Shauna Lynn July 30, 2015 at 1:08 pm #

Really one of the reasons I am kinda glad I don’t have kids. I’m horrible with bedtimes.

3. Alayna @AlaynasCreations August 3, 2015 at 1:44 am #

The end of summer is coming way too quickly and this year more than any other we have really let the kids’ sleep schedules slip. I was thinking just this morning that we need to start adjusting them back to where they need to be so that it won’t be a shock when school rolls around.

I am co-hosting the #HomeMattersParty this month and would love to have you stop by for a visit. The current party ends Monday night. http://alaynascreations.co/2015/07/31/home-matters-link-party-48/

4. Jelli August 4, 2015 at 2:01 am #

Yep, my parents did this with my brother and I a couple of weeks before the school year began every year. It works!

5. Kristina & Millie August 4, 2015 at 3:52 pm #

my college aged son has totally messed up his sleep cycle while on break – I am going to try these ideas to see if they help him get back on track. Thanks for hints and tips!

• Shauna Lynn August 5, 2015 at 3:22 pm #

College schedules are insane. I hope he can use them and not get sucked into the late night events at the school during the year.

6. Mandi @ Moments With Mandi August 4, 2015 at 6:09 pm #

We actually didn’t let the kids stay up late this summer. Most nights they were in bed by 8:30, and there have been a couple of rare nights they stayed up later, but for the most part we stuck with our “school year” schedule. They NEED that sleep, especially after being outside all day and running around and playing with no naps.

Thank you for linking up at the Simply Sundays link party!

• Shauna Lynn August 5, 2015 at 3:21 pm #

Great idea! I wish my sisters would follow that rule 🙂

7. Elaine Matthews August 5, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

What a great and timely post!! Looks good!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday – Link Party!! Hope to see you again this week!! I pin everything on my 2 favorite things pinterest board!!

8. Lou Lou Girls August 10, 2015 at 5:05 pm #

Great ideas. Pinned and tweeted. Thank you for bringing such amazing creations to our party. We hope to see you tonight at 7 pm because we LOVE to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Merry Monday Link Party #66 - C'mon Get Crafty - August 10, 2015

[…] Adjusting to School Year Sleep Schedule @Pickles and Peppers! (PIN IT) […]

2. Merry Monday Link Party #66 - Ornament Exchange Sign-Ups! - My Pinterventures - August 11, 2015

[…] Adjusting to School Year Sleep Schedule @Pickles and Peppers! (PIN IT) […]